Wednesday, July 29, 2009

K-Pop Mania in the Philippines Goes Extreme

As a big Super Junior fan, I always browse about them on the net like any fan does. I scream when they are performing on the stage even if I am just watching it on Youtube. I'm like... "I know every performances that they made."

So, gosh!!! What kind of E.L.F (Everlasting Friend-Suju's official fanclub) are you if you don't know about their Super Show II? And of course I know about that and I am one of those fans who anticipated their concert and I was like... "Omona, Kibum watched the show!" and "Omona, oppa, you are so hot!" but the truth is haven't watched the whole lot to think that most of the videos are already uploaded in the net and most of my E.L.F friends already watched it.

But enough of those, what I really want to talk about is the competition of these K-Pop groups: Super Junior, 2ne1, Wondergirls, SS501 and Shinee in the Philippines.

Fire of 2ne1 topped the P.O.T Myx hitchart just last month, Nobody of Wondergirls was also included and Sorry Sorry of Super Junior. I just don't know if the songs of Shinee and SS501 were also a hit.

As I noticed just today, most of my students sing the song of Wondergirls and 2ne1 and as a fan of Super Junior I am a little bit jealous because only few of them know the song Sorry Sorry and there is no sign that they even know the song Noreago which was also shown in Myx. But jealousy aside, I noticed that the songs which became well-known are the songs of girls. Hmmpp... I am wondering why? Could it be because of Sandara Park (member of 2ne1) once won in a reality show in the Philippines? Well, probably. But what about Wondergirls? What did J.Y.P. (the talent company of Wondergirls) do to make it a well-known group here in the Philippines and to think that Nobody was released last year? Why did ABS-CBN released an English version of it? JYP and ABS-CBN, a new partnership?

I also wonder about SS501 and Shinee. They sang most of the soundtrack of Boys Over Flowers (A well-known TV Drama in the Philippines) but they are not as famous as the girl groups above. Wierd, right?

How about the group SNSD (So Ni Shi Dae, I don't know is that is right), it is a girl group but they are not famous here, so as Kara, Jewelry, and many more.

K-Pop is a little known in the Philippines and a lot of poeple especially the younger ones go crazy about it. Realizing that this is so, the question on K-Pop mania become more and more puzzling to me now. What do Filipinos want? What do Filipinos prefer? What made some of the K-pop groups more interesting to us than others? What are the factors behind this sudden interest?

And the last question is... When will Sorry Sorry and Neorago become as famous as Fire and Nobody here in the Philippines? ~~~ lol~~~ I just added that up because I am quite jealous.. really... ~~~lol~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment