Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Man...Made in God's Likeness

How could a person become like Jesus? How could we be like him even though we are not God himself? How could we have a spirit as holy as his? How?

It was just any other day. I felt lazy to wake up but I remembered that I haven't got any gift for my student, yet. While I was feeling the laziness inside, I tried to persuade myself to stand up, take a bath and eat my breakfast. After all these routinary activities, I went to the mall to look for the most special yet cheap gift that I can forge my budget in.

"How pathetic!?"

Ok, let us skip some details. With the gift in my hand, me and two of my co-teachers walked towards the venue of the birthday party of one of our students. As we were walking, an old man in quite a poor outfit approached us. He asked us for the direction of this certain hospital in Kawit which I forget the name. We told him how to go there because he said that he is sick and he wants to be treated.

It may be a very usual story but I am still haunted by the thoughts of that very regular day. When I see an old man, I remember that poor old man with a sad eyes. I could have helped more... I could have done better... I could have been better...

I am aiming for self-development yet I am here being me in a sense of complete selfishness. I could have helped that poor old man. I could have shown him to the hospital itself. I could have seen to it that he was treated well yet I stood there while he walked away. I could have abandoned myself and gave it to him just how Jesus abandoned himself for us.

We can be like him. We can be like God. We can have a spirit as holy as his. We can if we just try harder.

No comments:

Post a Comment